Stuck at home and don’t know what to do? Same with us. We are here to share tips on how to stay healthy at home.
Here are 10 tips on how to help you stay healthy this quarantine season:
- Stretch – We are all sitting a lot more and not moving, which is making our bodies pretty stiff so it’s important to stand up and stretch it out. Stretching helps increase blood flow, lengthen our muscles, improve posture, and reduce back pain.
- Socialize – Are you quarantining alone? No problem, pick up the phone! Being social can keep the brain healthy by improving cognitive functions and our emotional health. By expressing how you feel, you can increase neurotransmitters and neural pathways in the brain, which can help decrease symptoms of depression. Socializing can also help in boosting immunity and reducing stress and inflammation in the body.
- Workout – If you’re tired of sitting and laying down watching Netflix, get moving! Not only does working out help aid us in weight loss, but it also improves our mental health. Working out increases the amount of dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin levels in our brains, which helps make us feel good and reduce the feeling of anxiety and depression. There are so many people and platforms offering online workouts to get our in-home sweat in. Including us! You can check out our Stay Home Workout series on our @eboost Instagram Live. *Weekly Schedule is in our Highlights*
- Hydrate – It’s important to always be hydrating to help drain our lymphatic systems, especially since we are all sedentary at the moment. This helps improve digestion, reduce inflammation, increase blood flow and circulation, and attain more youthful skin. Ain’t nobody tryna age during this quarantine.
- Get into a Routine – I think it’s safe to say at first it was hard adapting to the new way of WFH lifestyle. By creating a schedule and planning out your week you can put your mind at ease. This sense of structure and organization can also help lessen feelings of stress and anxiety.
- Cook & Meal Prep – I think we can all agree we have a lot more time and that extra time can make us circle around the kitchen and eat everything in sight. But instead of always reaching for the frozen pizza, grab some healthy ingredients and cook from scratch! Stock up at the store to prep clean snacks, meals, smoothies, and healthy sweets you can create throughout the week. This helps reduce the amount of processed foods you put into your body- so instead of grabbing that bag of chips while you’re working, you can grab a healthy meal or snack.
- Brain Games – If you’re bored, play a board game. Board games, card games, and puzzles help keep the brain sharp by increasing memory and cognitive skills. They also help reduce stress, lower blood pressure, and increase your response time.
- Fresh Air – Go outside and clear your head. Talking a walk and going outside to get some Vitamin D can mentally and physically give us that revitalizing boost of energy. Sunlight is key not only to our mental health including mood but also can protect us from inflammation in the body.
- Do what feels right to you – There is a lot of pressure from social media about what we should be doing during this quarantine, but there is no one size fits all way of living life. We are all different and what works for you might not work for someone else. There are a lot of great recommendations that we can utilize, but instead of taking everything word for word, you should use these as takeaways. The only person that knows what works best for you is you.
- Relax! – You don’t always need to be doing something. The body needs rest and time to recover whether it’s from your mom yelling at you to take out the trash or you’re simply just exhausted. Sleep and resting are crucial in reducing stress and inflammation while also beneficial for improving memory and cognition. Without sleep, the body’s equilibrium is thrown out of whack.
We hope these 10 tips on how to stay healthy at home help motivate you to map out a routine that works best for you if you’re feeling stuck!
Christina Ashley Midollo
Certified Nutritionist & Healthy Living Coach
Cornell University, Division of Nutritional Sciences
- Boost Your Brain with Each Cardio Workout
- 4 Natural Supplements that May Help Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- 4 Healthy Fats to Help Fuel the Brain and Maximize Mental Clarity
- 4 Benefits of Working Out that Happen After You Workout
- Tuesday Tip – Why We Added Beet Root Juice to POW