Determination will get you far in the gym, but nutrition is the foundation to training success. While breakfast steals the spotlight as the “most important meal of the day” (which, yes, it is) – what you put in your body right before those killer workouts is arguably even more important when setting out to reach your fitness goals. Having the right amount of protein + carbs before your workouts will not only help you go longer and be stronger, but will also help your body recover and prep for your next gym session.
You already know what to drink: EBOOST, 1h to 15 min before you workout. Whether you choose the shot or the powder, they are both loaded with green tea, green coffee bean, vitamins, minerals and nutrients to boost your workout. The tough part: knowing what to eat + when to eat it in order to fuel your body to crush your workout!
You’re in luck: we’ve got the details on what to consume, when to fuel up, and why!
• Trying to slim down? Time your workouts so your breakfast can be your pre-workout meal. Prefer a sweat session after work? Eat a snack 1-2 hour before and use dinner for your post-workout meal.
• Early riser? It’s tough to fit in a pre-workout snack, so prep it the night before, grab it on your way out the door + nosh on your way to the gym. That gives your body time to digest (so keep it light!). Studies show eating pre-workout in the a.m. dramatically enhances your workout and helps to raise glycogen stores. Hit the weights first…that way you’re not doing cardio on a full stomach, plus you use those calories to build muscle which preps your body to immediately burn fat by the time you get to cardio!
• Trying to add muscle? When prepping for a strength workout – try to consume about 0.1 grams of protein per lb. of bodyweight and 0.2 gram of carbs – so for a 130-pound woman, that’s about 13 grams of protein and 26 grams of carbs. Bottom line: about 10 – 15 grams of protein and 25 – 30 grams of carbs should be the right amount for most women. [Tip: it’s crucial to fuel up and recover from workouts immediately so time the rest of your day’s meals so you can fit in both a pre- and post-workout snack in your day. Combining carbs + protein immediately after your workout can reduce muscle damage and actually optimize muscle protein synthesis – building new lean muscle! ]
• Like to workout at lunch or after work? Don’t forget to pack those snacks the night before. Consider keeping a blender bottle + protein powder in your office or car for a shake-on-the-go! Get busy and forget that afternoon snack? Set an alarm on your phone for 1-2 hours before your workout so you’re fully fueled and ready to go.
Join the contest!
Share your fav pre-workout recipe in <140 characters – bonus points if the recipe features EBOOST! The most creative recipe wins a box of NEW EBOOST Orange Shot, 1 fitbook fitness + nutrition journal, and 1 year of health-eBYTES daily text messages from fitlosophy. PLUS – the winning recipe will be added to health-eBYTES! To enter, like EBOOST + fitbook by fitlosophy on facebook and share your recipe….good luck!
Winner will be announced on Thursday, march 20th!
- The EBOOST Green Protein Shake
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Use A Pre-Workout
- Rebecca Grande EBOOST Ambassador
- Trent Brender EBOOST Ambassador
- EBOOST’s SKYLINE SWEAT NIGHT by Sweat with Bec on 9/11