Burpees–many of us have such a love-hate relationship. The love AND hate come from how flat-out taxing it is on the entire body, especially in high-rep workouts. For some people, burpees are the perfect exercise to keep an explosive exercise into a workout to break things up a bit. For others, burpees are just not a great idea. They can be very straining on the wrist, form turns sloppy right away and it just might not be the best way their body moves.
The good news is that burpees are not the only exercise that can give the same effect as this explosive full-body challenging exercise.
3 Exercises Just as Good as Burpees
Squat + Thruster
The idea behind a sprawl is to take the power of the lower body from the squat, add a thruster by jumping into the air. It looks a lot like a squat jump but much more explosive. Squat->Arms up overhead->Thurst up->Jump with explosion->end is squat->stand. That is one.
Plank to Pike Jumps
Start in a plank position, much like that of the burpee. Instead of jumping your feet all the way to your hands, you will jump your feet halfway in as you lift your hips into the air. Try to keep that tight plank position the whole time (even when your hips are up in the air too). Then jump your feet back to the starting plank. With control, work through these with speed.
Although this one isn’t taxing like a burpee is in an explosive way, the bear crawl is a great alternative for those looking to engage the whole entire body with control.
- Start on all fours and lift your knees so they’re at a 90-degree angle and hovering an inch off the ground.
- Move one of your hand and the opposite foot forward an equal distance, at the same time, while staying low to the ground.
- Then move the other hand and foot forward.
- Repeat the movement while alternating sides.
And if you are on the other side of the equation, here is how to take your burpees to the next level.
- Love Them or Hate Them, This is How to Perform the Perfect Burpee.
- It Is Too Hot Outside Inside Workout
- Building a Stronger and Powerful Butt at Home
- What is a Kang Squat and Why Should They be A Part of Leg Day
- The no excuse to be lazy on the weekends workout!