Plyometric boxes, aka jump boxes or plyo boxes, are a piece of fitness equipment used to perform plyometric exercises. Plyometric exercises are a type of exercise that involves explosive movements, such as jumping and sprinting. Plyo boxes provide a stable platform for performing these exercises, and they can also be used to add variety and challenge to your workouts. Plyometric boxes are a great way to improve your vertical jump, power, and speed. They can also help you to build strength and muscle. If you are looking for a way to add variety and challenge to your workouts, a plyometric box is a great option. And you may use them the most for just that, but there is so much more you can do with a plyo box. Here are different ways to use a plyo box.
What are some of the benefits of using a plyo box:
- Improves vertical jump
- Increases power
- Builds strength
- Improves speed
- Adds variety to workouts
- Challenges muscles
4 Different Ways to Use a Plyo Box
- Box jumps: Box jumps are a great way to improve your vertical jump and power. To do a box jump, stand in front of the box and jump up onto it, landing with both feet on top. You can start with a low box and gradually increase the height as you get stronger.
- Step-ups: Step-ups are a great way to work your legs and glutes. To do a step-up, stand in front of the box and step up with one foot and drive that heel into the box as you stand. Then, step the other leg up to meet your other foot. Slowly lower yourself back down one foot at a time. You can do step-ups on one leg or alternate legs each time.
- Push-ups: Push-ups can be made more challenging by doing them on a plyo box. To do a plyo push-up, start in a plank position with your hands on the box. Lower your body down until your chest touches the box, then push yourself back up. This would be an include push-up. You can also make this more challenging by doing a decline push-up where your hands are on the ground and your feet are on the box.
- Dips: Dips can also be made more challenging by doing them on a plyo box. To do a plyo dip, start with sitting on the edge of the box and your hands on the box with your fingers pointing towards you and your feet on the ground. Lower your body down, keeping your body close to the box and and your chest lifted, until your elbows are bent at a 90-degree angle, then push yourself back up through the heels of your hands.
In addition to these basic exercises, there are many other ways to use a plyo box. Here are a few ideas:
- Lunge jumps: Lunge jumps are a great way to work your legs and glutes. To do a lunge jump, start in a lunge position with one foot on the box and the other foot on the ground. Jump up, landing with both feet on the box. Then, step down and repeat on the other side. It is best to put the box up against something sturdy so that the box won’t shift on you.
- Burpees: Burpees are a full-body exercise that can be made more challenging by doing them on a plyo box. To do a plyo burpee, start in a standing position. Do a squat, placing your hands on the box. Jump your feet up to the box and do a push-up. Jump back down from the box, stand up, and do a jump.
- Mountain climbers: Mountain climbers are a great way to work your core and legs. To do a mountain climber, start in a plank position with your hands on the box. Bring one knee up to your chest, then bring the other knee up. Continue alternating knees, keeping your core engaged the entire time.
- Squat jumps: Squat jumps are a great way to work your legs and glutes. To do a squat jump, start in a squat position. Jump up, jumping through the heels of your feet, reaching your arms overhead. Land softly and repeat.
Plyo boxes are a versatile piece of equipment that can be used to add variety and challenge to your workouts. With a little creativity, you can use a plyo box to create a workout that’s perfect for you.
Here are some additional tips for using a plyo box safely and effectively:
- Start with a low box and gradually increase the height as you get stronger.
- Warm up before using a plyo box.
- Use proper form to avoid injury.
- Listen to your body and take breaks if you need them.
With a little practice, you’ll be able to use a plyo box to get a great workout!
And what better way to crush your plyo box workout than by taking POW beforehand! POW is a natural pre workout that enhances your mind and muscles to help you maximize your workouts. Work out hard and recover smoothly with clinically tested ingredients in doses that deliver.