This topic can certainly be a tricky one to discuss. There are many opinions, studies, tests, results, etc. that are floating around the internet. People try to battle losing weight every day. Some people use techniques that have worked well for others and yet weight loss looks a bit different for everyone.
What we do know…
- Many people wonder if exercise is necessary for weight loss. Not only is exercise a great way to stay active and do something healthy, but it can also help in burning fat.
- You cannot spot train. This basically means you can not target one portion of your body and tell it to lose fat just right there through exercise.
- Commit to the goals, in regards to health, nutrition, and working out can help people lose fat.
- There aren’t any quick fixes. And yes this includes toning belts, surgeries, pills, laxatives, etc.
- Losing fat takes a lot of determination, consistency, and commitment.
What happens when we lose fat?
Back in 2013, Ruben Meerman presented a TEDx Talk on “The Mathematics of Weight Loss“. If you have 20 minutes to spare, we think this video is certainly worth a watch and gives you a whole new perspective on what it means to actually lose weight. Some people say you poop it out, some people say fat cells never go away, but what is refreshing about this idea is that it comes down to a very ‘simple’ mathematic equation – C55H104O6 (fat) + 78 O2 (oxygen) –> 55 CO2 (carbon dioxide) + 52 H2O (water).
Essentially this is what energy is and what it means to burn energy.
Now, this is just one theory and one that uses a method that we can’t really argue with–mathematics. However, going back up to what we do know, it takes commitment and hard work to actually lose weight. Just sitting on your couch and trying to breathe more or heavier isn’t quite what Meerman had in mind. Eating right and exercising regularly can certainly get you some great weight loss.
If you are looking for some motivation in the kitchen and the gym, our blog is full of ideas. At the top of our blog, we even have categories divided up for workout ideas and healthy recipe ideas. Good luck, we are rooting for you.