Welcome to Week 2, Day 4 of the EBOOST Fitness Holiday Challenge!
Each week we are challenging you to focus on your health and fitness for all 7 days each week, including five days of workouts, one full rest day, and one active rest day. This is by no means a strict plan you need to follow. If you have a current workout routine that you are loving feel free to keep at it because you can still participate in our challenge with the chance to win prizes by posting your images on Instagram and tagging @EBOOST, #eboost, and #fitnessholidaychallenge. Each post is an entry into a chance at winning one of our prizes–Apple Watch Nike+ Series 4, EBOOST gift cards and more! To see the full list of prizes, please check out our Fitness Holiday Challenge Overview blog post.
Today is the day you have been waiting for all week, a rest day! HECK YEAH!
It is extremely important to rest while working out. Your body needs time to recover from the intense work you put in the first three days of this week. As much as resting is important, what you are eating this week is just as important too. Even though we do not have an eating plan set up with this challenge, we thought we could inspire you or educate you on a meal that is perfect to eat while doing this challenge.
We love a good quick healthy dinner sometimes at the end of a long day, so today we are giving you just that. This recipe is easy to make with easy to find ingredients. Set the timer because you will have this delicious meal in your mouth in less than 40 minutes. Now get to it, the pesto is calling your name!
Shrimp Pesto Corn Bowl
4 medium ears sweet corn, husked and cut from the cob (if you want to cut the time down, even more, you can buy organic corn in a can)
1/2 cup packed fresh organic basil leaves
1/4 cup extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided into 1/4 teaspoons
1 1/2 cups organic cherry tomatoes, halved
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 medium ripe organic avocado, peeled and chopped
1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a pot of boiling water, cook corn until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain; cool slightly. If using canned corn then skip this step.
- While the corn is boiling, in a food processor (or high-speed blender or chopper), pulse basil, oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended.
- When the corn is done, remove from pot and allow to cool. You only need it to cool down enough so you can touch it to cut it without burning your fingers. You can run over cold water to speed up the process then cut the corn from cob and place in a medium-size bowl.
- Next stir in tomatoes, pepper and remaining salt.
- Add avocado and 2 tablespoons basil mixture; toss to combine trying to keep your avocado in its cubes and not smashed.
- Cook shrimp in a large frying pan brushed with remaining basil mixture.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat until the shrimps turn pink, 2-4 minutes per side.
- Remove shrimp from pan and place on top of the corn and avocado mixture.
- Serve in individual bowls.
Now don’t forget to share your pictures on Instagram so we can see how you’ve boosted your fitness goals today by focusing on your nutrition!