MCT oil is the new coconut oil. In fact, coconut oil is getting more of a bad rep lately. Studies show that coconut oil can actually increase your bad cholesterol levels, making it not as good for you as we were all convinced it was. So what is MCT oil?
MCT stands for medium-chain triglycerides fatty acids. MCT comes in a concentration called MCT oil. MCT oil is digested easily by your body and makes its way straight to your liver. Through the liver, the oil has the ability to power up your metabolism. Powering up your metabolism and uses the fats as they transition to energy in your body.
Coconut oil does have MCTs but they also have LCT (long-chain) which are saturated fats. Since MCTs are shorter they are absorbed by your body quicker which means converting fat to energy quicker.
MCT has more benefits to your body than just burning fat. MCT oils also –
- Can help manage cravings and appetite. One study showed that people that consume MCT oil, consume fewer calories during the day.
- Great for athletes because MCT oil quickly metabolizes converting the food and oil you consumed into energy to fuel your workout.
- It is also great for your brain. When you consume MCT oil specifically, your body produces ketones from the oil, and these ketones specifically feed your brain. This could be great for keeping away Alzheimer’s disease and other brain-damaging diseases.
- Another study even showed that MCTs lower blood sugars through regular use.
- Maintain a healthy weight — since they make you feel full.
- Give you more energy.
- Helping you think more clearly.
- Some people have experienced better digestion from consumed MCT oil.
- MCT oils can also help balance hormone levels in the body.
- All in all MCT oils can help improve your mood too.
Can you really go wrong with MCT oil into your diet? Maybe try adding it to your smoothie next time?
- 4 Healthy Fats to Help Fuel the Brain and Maximize Mental Clarity
- What is the Keto Diet and is It Right for You?
- The Milk Alternative Breakdown
- Who Needs More Carbs–Men or Women?
- Top 4 Foods to Avoid this Year