You can thank TikTok for this one. We are jumping on the food trend that is pasta chips. Chips are literally one of those snacks that we all just love but know they aren’t the best choice for us. Well, when you marry protein pasta and a chip together, this might be the chip you don’t have to feel too guilty about. Let us introduce you (if TikTok hasn’t already) to pasta chips.
Pasta chips are crunchy like chips and made using an air fryer to crisp up pre-cooked pasta. Sure you can use any old pasta and the shape is totally up to you but to keep us on the healthy track, we decided that protein pasta is our best version of the pasta chip craze that we can feel good about.
Pasta chips are easy to make and even easier to get creative with. Essentially, all you do is boil your favorite type of dried pasta until al dente, drain it, toss with some oil and the seasonings of your choice, then cook in the air fryer for 20-ish minutes until crispy. Here are some seasoning choices we gave a spin and think are pretty darn good.
Dill Pickle Pasta Chips
- 2 cups Farfalle Pasta
- 4 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pickle juice from a regular size pickle jar
- One Bunch Fresh Dill, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- Soak pasta in the pickle juice overnight.
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water to boil.
- Pour in 2 tbps of the Apple Cider Vinegar to the water.
- Add the pasta to the pot and boil for half the recommended time.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a small bowl combine the rest of the vinegar, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and fresh dill and whisk to incorporate.
- Drain and rinse the pasta after cooking it half way.
- In a large bowl, toss the pasta and the spice mixture together. Make sure to coat all the pasta.
- Add 1 tsp of olive oil to your air fryer, followed by the spiced pasta mix.
- Cook at 360 degrees for approx. 20 minutes. Toss the pasta regularly to prevent burning but promote even browning.
- Remove and garnish with more fresh dill if desired.
Italian Pasta Chips
- 2 cups Pasta
- 1 1/2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Marinara (or homemade)
- Cook pasta only half of the time according to the time given on the package instructions.
- Drain, but no need to rinse.
- In a small bowl, whisk together parmesan cheese, italian seasonsing, garlic power and sea salt.
- Add cooked pasta to a large bowl with olive oil and toss pasta to coat with oil. Then while tossing slowly add the seasoning mixture and coat the pasta evenly.
- Place seasoned pasta into your air fryer in a single layer and air fry on 400°F for 20 minutes or until pasta is nice and golden brown and crunchy. Toss once or twice while the pasta is cooking to prevent burning but promote browning.
- Once pasta chips are cooked, remove from the air fryer, let cool and enjoy dipping in the marinara sauce.