Don’t think we are suggesting you make your way to the candy aisle and buy up all of the Snickers, M&Ms, Twix bars, and Hershey’s kisses. We aren’t talking about the sugar-filled milk chocolate, we are talking about dark chocolate–the darker the better. There is just something about dark chocolate that makes us happy. Plus, there are studies that back it up.
Scientific studies show that eating dark chocolate increases oxygen to the brain in the frontal lobes. And guess what? Yes, the frontal lobes are linked to memory and cognitive skills. Dark chocolate for the win!
And what is even better, is when you pair a brain-boosting food with other brain-boosting foods and create the most delicious snack out of them. Double (or maybe even triple) win! We are throwing in some healthy fats for the brain and fiber for the gut.
Chocolate Brain Balls
Yields 24 balls
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 Tbsp hemp seeds
2 Tbsp chia seeds
1/8 tsp kosher salt
12 oz. (about 20) Medjool dates, pitted
3/4 cup brazil nut butter
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 vanilla protein powder (or unsweetened but then add 1 tsp vanilla extract too)
1. Combine the oats, protein powder, coconut, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and salt in a food processor until finely ground. Add the dates and brazil nut butter into the food processor and process until the mixture starts to clump into a ball.
2. Last, fold the chocolate chips into the dough.
3. Roll the dough into tablespoon-sized balls.
4. Optional, roll in fine coconut flakes.
5. Place the dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze until hard, about one hour. Then transfer to a storage container and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat yourself or serve to others.
- Peppermint Cocoa Protein Energy Balls
- Celebrating National Cookie Dough Day the EBOOST way.
- Mango POWer Bites Recipe
- 3 Valentine’s Day Inspired Healthy Desserts
- Create Your Own Protein Cookie with this Formula