As Spring starts to take a full swing, trips to the farmers market in the summer always come to mind. There is just something about getting produce and food almost directly from the source with the idea that this is about as fresh as it gets – unless you grow your own fruits and vegetables. Next time you are at the farmers market, try going without an agenda. Sure, go ahead and grab your staples, but also just take a look around and see what is available. These are the in season fruits and vegetables just waiting to get eaten. In this case, we are scooping up some strawberries and rhubarb and wiping up a weekend treat for you to try after your next visit to the farmer’s market. Check out our gluten-free Strawberry Rhubarb Scone recipe.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Scones
If you like a baked good filled with chunks of fresh fruit, then this recipe is for you.
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup tahini
1/2 cup coconut sugar or your sugar preference
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups gluten-free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
2/3 cup medium-diced strawberries
1/2 cup diced rhubarb
1 TBS cornstarch
1 tsp kosher salt
1 TBS lemon zest
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
- In a big bowl add the tahini, applesauce, and coconut sugar together and mix.
- Next, add in the vanilla extract and milk. Mix everything together until combined.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the gluten-free flour, lemon zest, salt, corn starch, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix everything together until combined.
- Add the medium bowl content to the large bowl and mix together.
- Lastly, fold in in the rhubarb and strawberries.
- Let the dough sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Place golf ball-sized batter balls on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 350°F.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before eating.