Asparagus season is here. When you think of asparagus what comes to mind? Pulling out the grill and getting those nice dark grill marks on it? Drizzling some oil on them and throwing them in the oven? Maybe it’s time to try something a little different. How about not cooking the asparagus at all or maybe just a quick blanch? These recipes are taking a fresher look at fresh asparagus.
Shaved Asparagus Salad
2 bunches of thick asparagus
4 radishes, thinly sliced
2 cups wild arugula
1 cup peas
1/2 cup roughly chopped basil leaves
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup feta
- Using a peeler, take the asparagus and shave off strips of asparagus and place them into a bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss.
- Using a light citrus vinaigrette or a honey mustard dressing is recommended with this salad. Just depends on which flavor profile you want to lean heavier towards. Then season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Fresh Asparagus Chickpea Salad
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
15 spears of asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained, 15 oz can
3 green onions, sliced
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
lemon vinaigrette for dressing – feel free to make your own too
- Cook the quinoa according to the directions but add some salt.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, asparagus, chickpeas, green onion, and feta cheese. Pour lemon vinaigrette dressing over the salad and stir until well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve.
- Eboost Ginger Apple Spruce Dressing
- Refrigerator Salad with Green Dressing
- 2 On-the-Go Healthy Cold Salad Recipes
- 3 Avocado Inspired Recipes to Add to Your Meatless Monday
- Healthy Sides to Fill Up your Holiday Plate