Do you start to get a little peckish around the late afternoon or mid-morning, when it is a bit too early for lunch or dinner? Don’t we all? Snacks are certainly something that is a must to keep those hangry attitudes at bay. Sure celery and peanut butter or a protein shake are staples, but sometimes you just need a bit more – something that isn’t quite in your regular routine, yet doesn’t take too much time to throw together. That’s where these – ’10 Low Carb, High Protein Snacks’ come in handy.
It is important to think about protein with your snacks. Protein is an important nutrient as it helps to fill you up, and eating protein regularly throughout the day will help keep your energy levels up, too. This is due to protein slows the digestion of carbohydrates, it prolongs the release of carbs (the energy you get from those carbs).
- Hard-Boiled Eggs – don’t forget the salt.
- Cottage Cheese – be sure to get wild and add some nuts or a small amount of fruit on top.
- Egg Bites or Egg Muffins – we have found some pretty decent ones at Costco.
- Turkey Roll-ups – grab the cheese and veggies and wrap some turkey breast around them.
- Hummus and Veggies – always a classic. Bonus points if you make the hummus yourself.
- Veggies and Spinach Greek Yogurt Dip – we have a personal favorite recipe here.
- Jerky – buying the ones with less sodium and added crap (you know, scientific terms) is ideal.
- Avocado and Chicken Salad – just hope your avos are ripe.
- Edamame – just steam them up.
- Protein Muffins – this is a favorite but you can always switch up the additions.
Do you have any favorite low carb high protein snacks to add to the list?