While comfort is important, so is staying healthy while being at home (probably) more often now than ever. In the beginning, you might have made some of your childhood favorites but quickly realized that you can’t keep this up without coming out of quarantine without adding on some weight. This is where taking our favorites are turned into a healthier quarantined version of their best selves. Read more for our healthy mac ‘n cheese.
Healthy Hidden Vegetables Mac ‘n Cheese
- 3 TBS EVOO, divided
- 1lb of your favorite Macaroni pasta, like Cavatappi
- 1 medium-sized head cauliflower, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper1 1/2 c.
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 cups kale, destemmed and chopped
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into small florets
- Start by preheating the oven to 425°F.
- Oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 TBS of EVOO in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add cauliflower, garlic, and onion. Season with salt.
- Cook the vegetables until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water and simmer until vegetables are very soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid; let cool slightly.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, add oil.
- Cook broccoli and kale until softened.
- Combine vegetables (minus the broccoli and kale), Cheddar, Parmesan, mustard powder, cayenne, and a splash of liquid from the vegetables in a blender.
- Blend until a puree is formed, add more liquid if needed. Make sure your mixture is on the thicker side and not too thin.
- Add sauce, broccoli, and kale to the pasta, and toss to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown.