When I first heard about chocolate hummus, I was intrigued but still not convinced. The idea of chocolate, chickpeas, and tahini just did not seem like a good combo, especially the chocolate and tahini part. I decided to actually give it a go recently and I regret waiting so long to try it. Chocolate hummus is super tasty and I set out to make it myself, instead of just buying it at the store.
Chocolate hummus is one of those spoon to mouth type of snacks. It can also be great with some fruit (like strawberries, pineapple, green apples, etc), pretzels, crackers and anything else you can think of. Think about it, what would you dip in some chocolaty goodness? Just about anything, right?
gluten-free and dairy-free
- 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, honey or liquid stevia drops
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened dark cocoa)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- First, start by draining the chickpeas.
- Add the chickpeas, tahini, sweetener, cocoa powder, vanilla, kosher salt, and 2 tablespoons water to a food processor.
- Puree for 30 seconds, then scrape down the bowl.
- If the texture is not creamy, slowly add more water (like a tablespoon at a time).
- Store refrigerated for 7 to 10 days.
Bring this to the next baby shower, house warming party, Superbowl gathering or try as a snack at home. The kids love it too! It certainly is healthier than a ton of other chocolate dip alternatives.
Looking for another fun chocolate snack? Try our Healthy Chocolate Pudding. We will give you a hint… it is made with avocados!