Getting kids to eat healthy is no walk in the park. If there is one thing kids love is that most of them love chicken nuggets. A lot of the chicken nuggets on the market aren’t all that great for kids. They are lacking nutrients and contain way more ingredients than necessary. Here is the list of ingredients from a famous companies nutrition label for their chicken nuggets.
Chicken McNuggets: White Boneless Chicken, Water, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Seasoning (Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Salt, Wheat Starch, Natural Flavoring [Botanical Source], Safflower Oil, Dextrose, Citric Acid), Sodium Phosphates, Natural Flavor (Botanical Source). Battered and Breaded with: Water, Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Yellow Corn Flour, Bleached Wheat Flour, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Lactate), Spices, Wheat Starch, Dextrose, Corn Starch. Contains: Wheat.
We are all about whole ingredients, simple ingredients, and tasty ingredients. With that being said, here is an EBOOST approved recipe for chicken nuggets that both adults and children love. Plus, what are chicken nuggets without a dipping sauce?
Kid-Approved Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard Sauce
recipe from Ambitious Kitchen
For the chicken tenders:
2 large eggs
4 TBS unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup almond flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
1 pound boneless skinless organic chicken tenders
Coconut oil cooking spray
For the honey mustard dipping sauce:
3 TBS dijon mustard
2 TBS local raw honey
½ TBS warm water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and 2 of the 4 TBS of almond milk.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together coconut flour, almond flour, salt, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Add the other 2 TBS of almond milk to the bowl and use a fork to mix together to form a ‘crumb-like’ texture.
- Dip each chicken tender into the flour mixture, then into egg mixture (coating the chicken entirely), then back into flour mixture to coat the chicken strips. This should create a crumb-like look.
- Place each strip on the prepared baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Generously spray the tops of the chicken strips with cooking oil spray.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
- To make the honey mustard dipping sauce: add dijon mustard, honey and warm water to a bowl and mix together until well-combined.
- Then get dipping!