Mmmm… pizza! Pizza is probably one of the most liked foods in America. It is warm, cheesy, chewy, loaded with protein and carbs but downright delicious. However, it is probably number 1 on the list for a food item that people cut out when they are trying to eat healthily and we don’t blame them. Pizza can easily pack in around 300 calories per slice (and we all know that we don’t eat just one slice). In fact, a slice of fast-food cheese pizza weighing approximately 103 g contains 272 calories, 33.56 g of carbohydrate, 12.27 g of protein, 9.8 g of fat, 4.35 g of saturated fat, 1.8 g of fiber, 551 mg of sodium and 22 mg of cholesterol, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Nutrient Database. Wow, now that is a lot of everything thrown all into one little slice of pizza.
We are here today with this edition of recipe makeover to prove that you can live a healthy lifestyle and include pizza in your diet without considering it a cheat day.
EBOOST’s Healthier Pizza
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Fresh paleo pizza dough
3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons refrigerated pesto or make your own
2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
1 garlic clove, grated
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup torn fresh basil
- Line a baking sheet (or a round pizza sheet or stone if you prefer) with parchment paper, place in the oven, and preheat over to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl massage the room temperature coconut oil into tomatoes and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on parchment paper and pierce it all around with a fork.
- Place the dough that is on the parchment paper onto the pan or stone that is preheated in the oven.
- Bake for 4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, pesto, milk, and garlic.
- Take the dough out of the oven and spread over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Sprinkle with feta.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Top with tomatoes.
- Bake at 500°F for 4 minutes.
- Top with basil.
- Cut into 8 slices.
You may also choose to add a protein to this pizza recipe to add some protein to your dinner.