Who else is excited to see Justin Timberlake do the halftime performance at the Super Bowl this year? I know I am not the only one! Who can deny that man’s greatness? Oh, oops I got a little off subject. Um yes, the Super Bowl (aka Justin Timberlake concert). The Super Bowl, even if you aren’t all that into sports is a fun time to gather with friends, make fun of commercials and watch some talented athletes score touchdowns, tackle each other and show off some of their dance moves in celebration.
Usually, when people gather, that means there is plenty of food and alcohol. In order for you to be able to enjoy yourself and not starve (or eat something super unhealthy) make sure you bring a dish to pass that you feel guilt free about enjoying yourself. Before the big game this weekend, whip up a couple of these dishes in the kitchen and we bet your friends won’t even know they are healthy. Yeah, they are that good.
Pesto and Turkey Cucumber Rollups
recipe by: ambitious kitchen
3 medium cucumbers (each will yield about 6 slices)
¼ cup store-bought basil pesto
6 slices GO Veggie Lactose & Soy Free Mozzarella Slices, cut into ½ inch strips
6 oz deli smoked turkey breast, shredded
1 bell pepper, thinly sliced into matchsticks
1/2 cup spinach, shredded
salt and pepper, for seasoning
- Slice the cucumbers lengthwise on a mandoline at about a 2mm setting. If you don’t have a mandoline, you can always use a vegetable peeler.
- Place the cucumber slices on parchment paper, and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of pesto on each cucumber, then evenly distribute cheese, turkey, bell pepper and spinach on each.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and black pepper.
- Roll up and place seam down. If you want an even nicer presentation, you can stick a toothpick in the middle for easy appetizers! Serve with extra pesto or sauce of choice.
- Makes about 18 rolls.
NOTES: Can be made a day ahead. Just store in an airtight container in the fridge. Feel free to sub in different veggies or meat with your favorites!
Ginger and Garlic Shrimp
recipe by: Food and Wine
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 1/2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 large garlic clove, minced
3 stalks of fresh lemongrass, tender inner bulb only, minced
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
How to Make It
In a large bowl, mix the vegetable oil with the parsley, garlic, basil, ginger, lemon juice, salt and crushed red pepper. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours.
In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. Stir in the ginger, garlic, and lemongrass and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened about 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, then stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Season with salt. Transfer the sauce to ramekins.
Light a grill. Loosely thread the shrimp onto 10 skewers. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked through about 5 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to plates and serve with the tomato sauce.
Cauliflower Pizza Bites
recipe by: Wicked Spatula
4 cups grated cauliflower
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Meat (about 4 oz): pepperoni, beef, sausage, bacon, ham, etc…
Veggies: bell peppers, onion, olives, artichokes, spinach, etc…
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Combine grated cauliflower, eggs, oil, and seasonings in a large bowl.
- Add in your desired fillings. Be sure to not use too many or they won’t hold together. I use 4 ounces of meat, and about a cup of veggies.
- Fill the muffin tin by packing the filling into them. Be sure to press down to help them form.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite marinara sauce.