Have you been finding that you are needing to spend more time in the kitchen this past month? Sometimes it can be great to decompress from the day and really let your creativity flow or try out a new recipe. Sometimes you also just want to get dinner on the table and move on to something else you find more decompressing. Whichever boat you might be on, this one-skillet Tex Mex recipe can help decompress your mind while also not taking forever to make.
One Skillet – (Chicken) Tex Mex Edition
- 2 lb chicken breast, chopped
- 1 lb sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBS coconut or avocado oil
- 1 large red bell peppers, diced
- 7 oz, half of a can of black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn
- 7 oz, half of a can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 TBS cumin, divided
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
You can swap out the chicken for any protein of choice or even omit it for a vegetarian version of this one-skillet dish.
- Preheat your large deep skillet on medium heat and add oil to coat.
- Add chicken and cook until almost cooked all the way through.
- Then add sweet potatoes, half of the cumin, half of the salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add onion, garlic, bell pepper and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then add the black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, remaining half of the cumin and half of the salt, taco seasoning and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover the skillet and cook for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Turn off heat.
- Last, add the avocado, green onion, cilantro, lime juice, and mix everything together.
- Sprinkle with cheese and let stand until cheese has melted.
Looking for more recipes with sweet potatoes? Check out our – 3 Sweet Potato Recipes Leaving You Wanting More
- Low Sodium High Protein Comfort Chili Recipe
- 2 Hearty High Protein Recipes to Keep you Fuller Longer
- Enchiladas to BOOST up your #TacoTuesday routine
- 3 Recipes All with Cauliflower Rice
- Turning up the Heat with Taco Tuesday