We all can probably agree that swearing off sweets for life would be downright torture. Savoring every girl scout cookie, every spoon of ice cream or piece of cake is like heaven on Earth. But then soon after is the ever hated sugar crash. Having something sweet in your life doesn’t mean you have to deal with the euphoric sugar rush to then suffer through the sugar crash.
Satisfying that sweet tooth without getting that crash is a lot simpler than you might think. Basically, it comes down to pairing something higher in sugar with healthy fats or fiber. With a fat or a fiber involved, it slows the body’s absorption of the sugar preventing the blood sugar to spike.
Chia Seed Pudding
Chia seeds pack a lot of fiber into their petite size. Head over to our Superfood Pudding Recipe to whip up yours today.
Avocado Chocolate Pudding
2 bruised avocados, cored and diced
3 TBS date paste, or more to taste (if you don’t have date paste try a few whole pitted dates or half a banana)
3 TBS high-quality cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Sliced strawberries, raspberries, cocoa nibs or chopped pistachios for serving
- In a blender, combine all ingredients until smooth.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender and repeat.
- Taste for sweetness and add a little date paste if you’d like it sweeter.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for 2 to 3 hours.
- Serve into bowls and top with the toppings listed above or any other tasty options you can come up with
Almond Butter and Banana
This is a snack that is fed to children a lot, but that doesn’t mean us adults can’t have it too. Just keep in mind that you don’t need the largest banana in the bunch and to be mindful of what a serving of almond butter looks like.
Popcorn and Baking Chips
An underrated sweet and salty combo. Popcorn is a whole grain that is low on the glycemic index and includes fiber. The fiber allows for the addition of something sweet like the baking chips, think chocolate chips or butterscotch chips.
- Don’t Throw Those Avocados Away – Make This Easy Dessert Instead
- An EBOOST Coconut Protein Smoothie, 3 Ways.
- Chocolate Almond Butter Protein Balls that Balance Sugar
- Did Someone Say Brownies for Breakfast?
- Almond Butter and POW Energy Balls