Can you believe Memorial Day is already almost here!? Where did May go? Whether you like it or not, but our guess is you like it because most of your get the day off, Memorial Day is this coming Monday. When it comes to gathering around with friends and family, the thought of what to bring or what can you eat at the gathering can cause a bit of stress or anxiety. Our method is to always bring something we are comfortable eating. I know I always like to bake dessert but don’t always want to eat it so if I want to feel good baking a dessert for others to enjoy then I will also bring a dish that I am comfortable to fill up on too. Today, I am sharing one of my favorite summer holiday dishes that are healthy and delicious.
3 ears of ‘sweet’ summer corn, shucked
3 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 TBS olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 TBS chopped basil, packed
2 TBS chopped mint, packed
2 lbs. very ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
1/2 cup light feta cheese
if you want to make it even fresher in flavor a great way to do this is by adding some cubed up watermelon
- Preheat your grill to medium-high and oil the grates. You can also bake your corn too if you do not have access to a grill.
- Grill the corn for about 10-15 minutes. You will want to turn the corn a couple times and grill it until the kernels turn bright yellow. I particularly like to have some of the corn turn a bit dark from grill marks to make it a bit charred.
- Remove the corn from the grill and allow to cool. As soon as the corn is cool enough to handle, but the kernels off.
- While the corn is cooling, it is a great time to prepare the rest of the salad.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, olive oil, and garlic until it is smooth and creamy.
- Then add the grilled corn kernels to the bowl.
- Gently fold in the basil and mint.
- Lay half the tomatoes out on a serving platter. Sprinkle the tomatoes with sea salt.
- Top the tomatoes with half the corn and two-thirds of your feta cheese.
- Then top with the rest of the tomatoes and repeat.
- Garnish with additional mint and basil if you desire.
- 2 Healthy Salads with Avocado Leaving you Wanting More
- EBOOST Fitness Holiday Challenge Week 2 Day 4
- Roasted Garlic Basil Feta Cauliflower Pizza with a Spruce Drizzle
- When Zoodles Get a Tastier Makeover
- Meatless Monday – Grilling Options