Chili is a big winter staple for a lot of people. For those that are paying a bit more attention to their sodium intake, then chili is typically not on the list. However, just because something is called chili doesn’t mean that it scores high in sodium. When it comes to making your own chili at home you can have more control over the sodium levels than you may think. Read over this recipe and reconsider keeping this recipe in your back pocket (or winter coat) as a recipe to have on hand for easy delicious and healthy eating.
Low Sodium Chili BOOSTED with Protein
recipe inspired by Hacking Salt
1/2 cup chili powder salt free
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup cumin
3 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp oregano
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp thyme
1 & 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
1 large onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
1 1/2 cup no salt added fresh corn
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 lb Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 15 oz can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
1 8 oz can no salt added tomato sauce
To make the seasoning:
- Add the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, paprika, and thyme to a mason jar.
- Seal the jar and shake it up to mix. Keep the spice mix sealed in the jar in your pantry, where it will keep for a few months.
For the Chili:
- Brown the turkey, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat until brown and crumbled.
- Grab your slow cooker and add the mixture from the skillet plus the tomatoes, corn, peppers, beans, tomato sauce, plus 3 TBS of the chili seasoning mix.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low
The rule we like to follow with chili is that the longer it can cook nice and slow the more flavorful it will get. When you think it reaches that point, grab some bowls and dig in. Chili is also amazing the day after too!
If you are looking to add more carbohydrates to your meal, try baking thinly sliced sweet potatoes in the oven. They work great for scooping up the chili!
- 2 Hearty High Protein Recipes to Keep you Fuller Longer
- The Weather is Confusing One Pot Chili Recipe
- Chicken Noodle Soup Makeover – Higher Protein and Less Sodium
- SPRUCE® – your new favorite seasoning
- 4 Ways to Use Christmas Leftovers