Who as a kid, loved mac ‘n cheese? There is something about a warm bowl of mac ‘n cheese that always takes us to a comforting place. Despite being older and feeling like mac ‘n cheese is more of a kid’s meal without much nutritional content, it is still something that is craved from time to time. We all know that mac ‘n cheese is full or dairy or fake powder cheese and tons of carbohydrates. It is really just a bowl of carbohydrate goodness, so maybe it is the perfect meal before the toughest leg day of your life. Well, instead of timing a bowl of mac ‘n cheese goodness with a workout, how about just eating some mac ‘n cheese guilt-free?
Here is a mac ‘n cheese recipe that packs a bit more nutrients than our childhood favorite and it is gluten free, dairy free, keto friendly and paleo.
Adult Spicy Paleo Keto Mac ‘n Cheese
recipe adapted from My Natural Family
1 large head organic Cauliflower
2 TBS Grass-fed Butter
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 C Water
2 TBS Grass-fed Butter
1 cup butternut squash cut into small cubes
1/2 small Sweet Onion, diced
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
3/4 tsp Ground Mustard
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 can Coconut Milk, not a light version
1 Egg Yolk
Pepper (to taste)
Add hot sauce and nutritional yeast as desired for topping.
- Cut the cauliflower into small pieces.
- Chop the butternut squash into cubes and chop the onion.
- Add the cauliflower to a large sauté pan with 2 TBS butter, ½ tsp salt, and 1 cup water.
- Simmer on medium/high heat and cover with a lid.
- Let the cauliflower steam inside the pan until mostly tender.
- Turn heat off, cover, and keep warm until ready to toss with the cheese sauce.
- For the sauce, heat 2 TBS butter in a saucepan over medium/high heat.
- Add the squash, onion, garlic powder, mustard, and salt to the melted butter.
- Sauté for 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add the can of coconut milk to the saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the coconut milk has reduced by 2/3 and is thick.
- Pour the vegetables and coconut milk into a blender and puree until very smooth.
- Immediately add an egg yolk to the puree and blend well.
- Pour over the hot cauliflower and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and add hot sauce.
- SPRUCE® – your new favorite seasoning
- 3 Recipes All with Cauliflower Rice
- Tailgate the Healthier Way with These 2 Recipes
- Chocolate Nut Butter Protein Bites
- Meatless Monday Featuring a Fall Favorite, Squash!