Even though tomorrow is Thanksgiving, why not get ahead of the game and completely dive into a huge pile of everything fall? This recipe is definitely one for when the cooler weather creeps in and you want to get all cozy next to a fireplace.
Plus, I love eating soup the day after Thanksgiving to give my digestion a bit of a break, as well as, feeling like I am not still stuffing myself while making sure I am still providing my body with healthy nutrients.
The star of this recipe is definitely butternut squash and here is how its nutrients measure up!
Butternut Squash nutrients
- A good source of vitamin E
- Vitamin B-6
- Pantothenic acid
- Great for skin and hair
- Helps digestion
- And beneficial for your blood pressure.
The real bragging right is a cup of butternut squash contains more potassium than a banana, measuring in at roughly 582 mg of potassium actually.
Everything Fall Butternut Squash Apple Rosemary Soup
inspired by Well Plated
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups chopped yellow onion
5 pounds of butternut squash peeled and diced into chunks
3 large McIntosh apples
4 cups low sodium chicken stock, divided
1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced, divided
- In a large, deep stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over low. Add the onions and cook until very tender.
- While the onions cook, cut and peel the squash and apples. Add them plus 2 tablespoon rosemary to the pot, then add 2 cups of the stock.
- Bring the pot to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the squash and apples are very soft, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once the apples and squash in the soup pot are tender, puree the soup with an immersion blender.
- Return soup to the pot once complete. Add 1 cup of the remaining chicken stock, then stir, adding a bit more stock as needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Stir in the salt, nutmeg, and black pepper. Taste and add a bit more salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve hot. Garnish with rosemary, optional.
Here are some of our squash recipes? What are some of yours?
- Chicken Noodle Soup Makeover – Higher Protein and Less Sodium
- Feeling a Little Backed Up?
- Meatless Monday Featuring a Fall Favorite, Squash!
- A Soup that is Perfect for Hot Days
- 3 Healthy Meals from Canned Pumpkin