This week’s #MeatlessMonday I am bringing you a recipe that is easy to make, you just need to prep it a bit ahead of time and then wait while it works its magic!
Weekly grocery trips to the store can get expensive, especially if you are trying to buy yourself yogurt to last you the whole week. For me, I sometimes have a hard time with portions if I buy the large container and if I am trying to be better about that, then I am spending more money buying the single serving containers.
Buying yogurt is expensive, but it doesn’t have to be. Making it at home is easy, ALOT cheaper and you can call yourself a DIY-er afterward.
DIY Homemade Coconut yogurt
2 14-ounce cans of unsweetened coconut milk (not light – I used Thai Kitchen)
2 teaspoons agar agar flakes (this is to thicken and not necessary if you like a runnier y0gurt)
4 EBOOST Culture probiotic capsules, or 4 tablespoons store-bought coconut yogurt
Sterile glass jars with lids to store the yogurt
- Warm the oven for about 5 minutes, until it reaches about 100°F, then turn off the heat — leave the light on to help keep the oven warm.
- Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan: Shake the can of coconut milk, open it, and pour it into a medium pot. Whisk until the milk is smooth and uniform.
- If you are using a thickener: Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of agar agar flakes into the pot over the coconut milk — but don’t stir!
- Warm the coconut milk: Place the pan on the stove over medium heat and warm until the coconut milk starts to simmer. The agar agar will also start to melt together.) Whisk the milk and turn down the heat to low. Continue cooking on low, whisking occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes, until the agar agar flakes are fully dissolved.
- Cool the coconut milk: Cool the milk until it’s just warm to the touch, about 100°F.
- Add your EBOOST Culture: Twist open the probiotic capsule and pour the powdery contents over the milk (discard the capsule’s casing). Whisk to combine. (Or whisk in 4 tablespoons store-bought coconut yogurt.)
- Pour the coconut milk into the sterilized jar(s) and screw on the lid(s). Place into the oven — turn the oven light on to keep the environment warm. Alternatively, use a yogurt maker or place into a dehydrator at 110°F. Leave for 12 to 24 hours without disturbing.
Chill the yogurt: Place the set yogurt into the fridge and chill for at least 6 hours. The yogurt will become thicker as it chills. After this stage, you might find that the mixture has separated with a yellowish, translucent layer at the bottom and a thicker white layer on top. If you are using EBOOST Culture your mixture will be a dark gray/bluish.
- Stir to recombine or scoop off the top layer for thicker coconut yogurt.
- Keep coconut yogurt refrigerated and use within 2 weeks.
***recipe guidance from: Kitchn
Use your homemade coconut yogurt as your base to your next EBOOST Parfait!
- EBOOST’s Spicy Adult Paleo Keto Mac ‘n Cheese
- Enjoy Valentine’s Day with an Eboost Aphrodisiac Dessert
- Chocolate Nut Butter Protein Bites
- An EBOOST Coconut Protein Smoothie, 3 Ways.
- Start Your Day with an EBOOST Parfait