Oh Mac ‘n Cheese, oh how we love thee!
Did anyone else grow up always asking their mom to cook them Kraft macaroni and cheese? I know I did time and time again. When we went grocery shopping, my favorite part was going down the macaroni and cheese aisle just to see what new shape they came out with next. From dinosaurs to the Flintstones to the Rugrats, I am not sure there wasn’t a shape they didn’t think of. Somehow they all tasted slightly different too. Anyone else think the spirals were the best!?!
Well, in case you did a reminder we aren’t kids anymore. We don’t have that metabolism that is resilient to every carb, fat, and sugar we put into our bodies. We have long said goodbye to playing outside all day and running around the house like a chicken with our heads cut off. We are sophisticated adults (we know how to get silly too) that need a more refined and healthier mac ‘n cheese, which brings me to this –
Greek Cal ‘n Cheese
8 cups water
2 1/2 cups cauliflower florets, chopped small
1 cup uncooked gluten-free elbow macaroni (8 oz)
1 1/2 cup milk of choice
3 TBS sorghum flour
2 TBS ghee
1/2 tsp salt, and dash pepper if desired
2 cups nonfat milk
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup Greek yogurt nonfat
optional paprika or nutmeg
- Add the water to a large pot and bring to boil.
- Add cauliflower and macaroni; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until macaroni is al dente.
- Drain; return to a saucepan, and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8 pan.
- In a medium pot or the one you cooked the pasta in, add the milk, flour, ghee, and salt with a whisk until smooth.
- Allow this to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens then remove from heat.
- Next, stir in the cheese and Greek yogurt until melted and combined together.
- Combine sauce and pasta mixture together.
- Taste, and season as desired.
- Take your mixture and spread it into the 8×8 pan. Toss breadcrumbs on top if you desire with the 2 tsp coconut oil spray or another spray oil.
- Bake on the center rack for 30-40 minutes or until edges are bubbly and breadcrumbs are golden.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle with your optional paprika or nutmeg and serve.
Feel free to throw a protein in here too like Shrimp, scallops or beef but please leave the hotdogs to the kids!
- EBOOST’s Spicy Adult Paleo Keto Mac ‘n Cheese
- When Zoodles Get a Tastier Makeover
- 2 Hearty High Protein Recipes to Keep you Fuller Longer
- 3 Low Carb High Protein Party Dishes
- Tailgate the Healthier Way with These 2 Recipes